The Royal Danish Family has for many generations had relations with Lyngby, and it is a common misunderstanding that the name Kongens Lyngby (the King’s Lyngby) refers to the royal family at Sorgenfri castle. As mentioned, the name Kongens Lyngby dates back to the Middle Ages, first mentioned in 1461. The royal family’s personal presence does not begin until King Frederik III’s possession of Frederiksdal in 1668.
When the first Sorgenfri castle was built in 1706, it belonged to a private person, only in 1730 did it come to be in King Christian VI’s possession. For a short period of time, this King owned all three castles. He owned Frederiksdal initially, and in 1735 he built Eremitageslottet (the small hunting castle), but then in 1739 the King granted the first Earl Schulin the castle of Frederiksdal. Both Sorgenfri castle and Eremitageslottet are on the other hand still in the possession of the royal family though they have both been on private hands.
The foundation of the palace dates from 1706, but its pres-ent appearance is due to the architect Lauritz de Thurah’s renovation in the 1750s and to even later changes.
King Frederik V lived there as crown prince - during the years 1744-46 - and in 1898 Prince Christian and Princess Alexandrine moved into the castle where they lived until 1912. They used it as summer residence until the death of King Christian X in 1947.
Since then their son Heir Presumptive to the Throne Knud and his wife Heiress Presumptive Caroline-Mathilde lived at the palace until 1995.
The Eremitage castle is the centre of the Royal Danish Deer Park, although it was built as late as 1735 while the Deer Park itself was already laid out in 1670. The Deer Park, the official Danish name being Jægersborg Dyrehave, was managed from Jægersborg castle; there was, however, in addition a small “castle” within the park which was later replaced by the Eremitage castle.
Its function was to be dressing and eating room for the Royal Court during the hunts in the Deer Park. The name is owing to the fact that the King was able to dine here “en Hermitage,” (alone). The domestic staff was not present. Instead the food was risen from the kitchen in the cellar on a board constituting the centre of the dining table. It is used occasionally by the royal family during hunts in the park, but is otherwise idle.
Frederiksdal castle was built in 1744-45 by Nicolai Eigt-ved and rebuilt to its present appearance in 1752-53 by J.G. Rosenberg. Since 1668, Frede-riksdal had belonged to the royal family, and in 1739 King Christian VI granted the estate to his foreign secretary Johan Sigismund Schulin. He built the present castle, which since then has been inhabited by his descendants.
The country houses
The castles were the most noble of the buildings built as holiday resorts for the upper class. The less noble were called country houses, but there is no definite destinction between the two.
Sophienholm and Marienborg are among the largest of the country houses in Lyngby-Taarbæk, while for instance Støvlet-Katrines Hus (Bootee Katrine’s House) is among the smallest.Marienborg
The country house Marienborg was built by the father of the naval hero Olfert Fischer, who bore the same name, but the house was rebuilt to its present appear-ance round 1800.
The last private owner, Barrister of the Supreme Court C.N. David, gave Marienborg to the Danish state in 1963 to be used by the Prime Minister as summer residence.
With its gorgeous location on Bagsværd Sø, Sophienholm is a natural picnic destination all through the year.
The land on which Sophienholm is situated, originally belonged to Frederiksdal castle, but in the 16th century it was split into many country house estates of which Sophienholm is the greatest.
The building was built toward the end of the 16th century by Theodorus Holm, but the building got its present Classical appearance in the beginning of the 19th century, when Constantin Brun was in charge of the reconstruction.
A fantastic park laid out in the beginning of the 19th century also belongs to Sophienholm. It is inspired by the English romantic gardens.
Pleasant café available.