Frilandsmuseet (the open air museum) (100 Kongevejen) - one of the oldest open-air museums - was founded in 1897 in Kongens Have (the King’s Garden) in Copenhagen, and moved to Sorgenfri in 1901. From covering a mere 1.5 acres, the museum today covers more than 82 acres.
The museum offers the visitor a tour through the old landscapes of Denmark. In connection with cottages, houses and farm buildings, they have built roads, fences, gardens, kitchen gardens, and fields, which like the buildings and furnishings inform about the characteristics of the districts from which they derive.
A purling Faroese stream, a fertile manor landscape, a barren heath, a rich deciduous forest, an open marsh, a Funen farmer’s garden, and a stony Scania landscape are just examples of the items at display. The aroma of freshly cut grass, the roses of the garden, and the smell of steaming horse droppings mix here, and the sound of scythes mix with the bleating of sheep.
On a daily basis, you may follow the museum’s skilled builders and gardeners working on the maintenance of the buildings and gardens. The livestock are of older Danish breed and are tended to every day. In the summer months, actors and demonstrators give a live represent-ation of everyday life in the country a hundred years ago. Early industrial farming is also on display at the museum, in these years they are building a complete little co-operative village, for example.
is an exciting new museum, focusing on the Danish industrializing throughout the last 150 years - a development which in a significant way has formed the Danish way of life and our way of thinking.
The museum is situated in the later Brede Klædefabrik (Cloth factory), which around year 1800, was one of Denmark's largest producers of woollen material.
To day the rural factory forms the frame around a number of permanent exhibitions, which by means of objects, light, sound and live pictures tells the story of the new technologies, the new trends which so dramatically chanced the daily life and working environment for the Danes.
In part of the exhibition a virtual factory worker appears amongst the old weaving machines. The visitor is then capable of, by means of an active ticket, to choose and follow a worker throughout a working day in the 1930th. Thus life and work at the factory can be experienced from the point of view of either the weaver girl - the manager or another factory worker.
At the assembly line children and grownups can test the hard work on their own body. In historic surroundings together with others you can compete in producing the most faultless ball-bearing to the world market. If the teamwork is working, the steam engine will start up as a bonus.
This unique industrial work - Brede Works - was in its days of glory, a mini society with both workers homes, eating-house, nursery and the factory master's country home and has been, together with other works along Mølleåen (the Mill river) nominated as one of 25 national industry memories.Every Sunday during the summer month it is possible to experience the elegant designed large residence, Brede Main building from 1797, and at the same time gets an impression of, how a working family lived during the 1950th by visiting the workers flat. Afterwards you can relax with your picnic basket by the romantic Mølledam or in the distinguished park with the lime trees. A visit to the Brede Eating House is also a possibility. Free entrance.
From 2010 the Brede works will be open simultaneously with the Open air museum - from 27th March - 24th October.
is a museum of French and Danish art from the 19th and early 20th cen- turies. It is situated in a large, beautiful park near the Deer Park. It was originally built in 1918 as the residence of Wilhelm Hansen, the founder of the museum. The original interior decoration creates a unique and intimate setting for the collection, and patrons are invited to stroll into the park and back. In the park, food and drink is served in the Café. In 2005 a new extension designed by the world famous Architect Zaha Hadid was inaugurated.
The late Baroque main building Gammel Holtegård (gammel = “old”) is the setting for an art gallery with varying exhibitions presenting art from the domestic as well as foreign sphere. But the history of the building goes all the way back to 1756, when the great architect of the time Lauritz de Thurah built it.
With its gorgeous location on Bagsværd Sø, Sophienholm is a natural picnic destination all through the year. The land on which Sophienholm is situated, originally belonged to Frederiksdal castle, but in the 16th century it was split into many country house estates of which Sophienholm is the greatest.
The building was built towards the end of the 16th century by Theodorus Holm, but the building got its present Classical appearance in the beginning of the 19th century, when Constantin Brun was in charge of the reconstruction.
A fantastic park that was laid out in the beginning of the 19th century also belongs to Sophienholm. It is inspired by the English romantic gardens.
Pleasant café available.
The local historical archive at Frieboeshvile has extensive source material helping to build an image of the development of Lyngby and its surroundings through the 19th and 20th centuries. The archive is constantly extended so that the collection becomes more and more informative and subtle about this period. All private persons are welcome to hand in material that may help make the collection complete.
If the sea and its “inhabitants” are of interest, Danmarks Akvarium (Kavalergår-den i Charlottenlund) is the place to visit with more than 3,000 animals and about 275 species. In around 70 aquaria, containing in all 220,000 British gallons of water (1 million liters), everything from crocodiles to the natural Danish fishes may be seen.
The oldest building in Lyngby is situated on top of the Church Hill, Kirkebakken, looking majestically over the city of Lyngby.
In the mid-12th century, the first stone church was built. Actually, parts of the wall of the nave are preserved in the present walls. The church was a Roman church with small windows placed high above. It is the only preserved mediaeval building in Lyngby. The tower has since been added.
In the latter half of the 15th century, the church was once again rebuilt and this time in the Gothic style. It is in this Gothic style that the church presently appears. When one enters the church, one is first encountered with some very well preserved murals from the 16th century. They include themes from both the Old and the New Testaments. The church also has a conspicuous altarpiece from 1602 carrying the monogram of King Christian IV. The piece itself is covered by the great painting of the Eucharist from 1829 by C.F. Eckersberg.
There are no less than five other churches in the municipality in addition to Lyngby Kirke, one of the oldest churches in the country, and they are all worth a visit. Their dates reveal how the municipality has developed.
Christianskirken is situated at 120, Chr. X’s Allé, built in 1920 by the architects Erik Jensen and Jacob E. Bang as one of the first functionalist churches in this country.
Lundtofte Kirke, the beautiful village church at Danmarksvej, was inaugurated in 1921. It is the work of the architect H. Lønborg Jensen.
The fascinating Sorgenfri Kirke is situated at 1 Hummeltoften, Sorgenfri, designed by Tyge Hvass. Seven huge stained glass windows by Jens Urup reflect the ecclesiastical year.
Virum Kirke, 10 Kirkebakken in Virum, was originally designed by Niels Skrivers and inaugurated in 1940. Its present appearance is the work of Palle Møller in connection with a major extension in 1957-59.
Taarbæk Kirke was inaugurated in 1864. Designed by Carl Emil Wessel, who found inspir-ation for the design in a church in Irish Limerick, it was to a large extent funded by C.F. Tietgen. It is situated in 10 Edelslundsvej in the old fishing village of Taarbæk.