Kgs. Lyngby - from Village to modern Commercial Centre and University Town Kongens Lyngby is known as the King's Lyngby because the estate of the city was crown lands and thus belonged to the king until the Reformation in 1536. The original village dates back to the Viking Age, and the exact location was probably chosen because of the easy crossing of the Mølleåen (the Mill Stream) here.
In the 16th century when Copenhagen became Den-mark's capital, Kongen's Lyngby was marked by the needs of the capital just like the other parishes in the vicinity of Copenhagen; the farmers supplied the city-dwellers with milk and vegetables, while the rich Copenhageners built country houses in the Lyngby area or factories along the Mølleåen.
During the 18th and 19th centuries, Kongens Lyngby became a major trade's centre serving the area north of Copenhagen. The city has kept this function even though its surrounding area became Copenhagen suburbs during the 20th century.
Industry was for a time the most important trade, but today Kongen's Lyngby is mostly known for its flourishing trades and service centers surrounded by some of Denmark's most popular residential areas. However, the city has preserved much of its old country town and recreational atmosphere, which adds to Kongens Lyngby as an interesting place to visit for tourists.
The Copenhagen Inland Fortifgication
Towards the end of the 19th century, the Copenhagen Inland Fortification, Københavns Landbefæstning, was constructed. It was a large-scale fortification which should prevent the enemy from reaching the capital that had been left rather unprotected since the abandonment of the ramparts in 1867.
The war of 1864 had shown that the Danish military could not defend the whole country. Therefore, the strategy laid out was that in case of an enemy attack (from Germany) to defend the capital until other powers (Great Britain) could come to Denmark's rescue.
The construction was carried through by the government despite savage oppositional resistance. The construction of the fortification was the major point at issue in the domestic debate in this period when the Danish administration was carried out under provisional Finance Acts not voted for by the Lower House (Provisorietiden). These financed the construction.
The Fortification Canal
The greatest single element of the Copenhagen Inland Fortification was a planned flooding. The idea was to lay out a broad belt of water around Copenhagen using the water of Furesøen as a passive obstruction for an advancing enemy. From 1886 to 1888 therefore, a canal from the Furesøen to the Lyngby Sø was dug out and from this lake further through Lyngby to Ermelunden south of the Deer Park. From here a system of embankments and locks made it possible to disperse the water into a number of reservoirs all the way to the Sound north of Skovshoved and in a canal through Gentofte Sø and Utterslev Mose to the moat in front of the Vestvolden from Husum to Køge Bugt.
The passive water obstruction was combined with fortresses and batteries. Garder-højfortet (the Guardsman Hill Fortress) was the first of these fortifications to be built on the North Front of Copenhagen. It is open to the public.
Lyngbyfortet and Fortunfortet are also situated within the municipality. The Danish fortifications were larger and more modern than their Belgian and French counterparts but have, fortunately, never been tested in real warfare.